Friday 7 October 2011


Draw a rose


Step by step: The Rose


Here is the photo I chose is not my purpose to make a perfect reproduction, just inspire me for a nice drawing.



I begin by defining the main features with a 2B graphite pencil.
I do mostly freehand, but I use a regular rule to calculate the distances between elements. You can also use the method of small tiles for this essential step.

I start with the central petal with a graphite pencil 9b, I support more or less strong according to the contrasts. I blend a lot on the finger because I find it rather shaded.


I continue to fill the central observing my model, for now it does not look like much, but the contrasts are very important from the outset to avoid drawing a "gray", without nuances.

I finished the whole top of the flower in the direction of small "ribs" of the petals. The shadows will not fit anywhere, to give the "matter" it is imperative to follow the direction of shadows and light.


Next, I attack the left side of the rose: being right-handed, I feel obliged to follow this direction to avoid me to get your hands on some already made and to spread everywhere.

I finished the rose. I only use a graphite pencil 9b. I go back and forth on the dark areas, and I hesitate not to go all black. For highlights, I dab my gum bread and I blend with a Kleenex. I always feel the ribs to give the matter.


I then ombe of the rose to make. I support very hard with my pencil and 9b with a Kleenex I blend in to avoid overflowing the shadow stops "net". In the shadow of the rod, I use only my kleenex I rubbed in the dark area.


I keep up with the shadows of my all dirty kleenex graphite. I also place the navel that will help me follow the shadow of the lower abdomen and the stem.


I now place the shadows of the lower abdomen. I notice that there is a circular motion around the navel, I try to respect it. I go without pressing the gum bread on the bright areas.

I could stop there but I think the bottom of the drawing is a little empty. So I decided to add a small red felt calligraphy. For the highlight, I fly in graphite: I am the meaning of the letters but in a staggered manner.

Now I see all the shadows, light and contrast to give a harmoine drawing. Once it seems to me good, I sign it;)



No comments:

Post a Comment